Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Simple Side

Phew, what a day! An early morning Bodypump class to start the day off, then a hike with dad and rounded out with some lawn mowing. Despite feeling pretty exhausted right about now, I pulled together a pretty good take on rice and beans for dinner tonight, if I do say so myself :)

Brown Rice w/Black Beans and Squash
Serves 4

2c cooked brown rice
1/2 delicata squash, cut into 1/2" cubes and roasted (425deg for ~30min)
2-3 scallions, sliced on the bias
~2/3 can of black beans
ground cumin, corainder, s/p to taste (I eyeballed these)

Combine in a large bowl and mix well.

I had roasted the squash the other day, and used the brown rice that cooks in a bag in 90seconds, so it really couldn't have been easier. Just what I was looking for tonight! I thought about adding some sort of liquid, but couldn't figure out what, so I just let it be. A little harder to load all the little bits on your fork, but that's ok. The brown rice (which I had intended to be kasha... but the kasha gods were against me last night) went really well with the squash and beans-yum!

I'm all out of words, and wish it was bedtime (it's only 6:47)... Hoping I'll stay awake for American Gangster at 8, we'll see! I'll leave you with one picture from this afternoon's outing, looking out from a tiny waterfall that must've been a whole lot bigger at some point to form that sort of striations in the rock! (I don't know what the appropriate terms are here, and feeling a bit lazy, so i'll leave it at that!) Have a great weekend :)

Plotter Kill Nature Preserve

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck at staying awake, AMerican Gangster is a very LONG movie that's relaly intense!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

WHEW, what a day indeed!! Kudos to you for still managing to create a delicious dish!

Anonymous said...

I adore kasha and don't eat it enough--love this take on it--would never have thought to combine it with squash and beans!
Good luck w/ the movie--from what I hear, it's pretty violent, so that may just keep you awake. ;)

Meg said...

I bet you are absolutely exhausted!

Love your beans and rice dish!!!

Adam said...

Haha nice giant rock pic :) The dish looks nice, I hope it gave you enough energy to stay awake and relax.

Natasha said...

After the morning you've had, I would say this dish is just what you need. It looks delicious and healthful.

Esi said...

I would completely exhausted after the day you had! Kudos to you for still managing to make a nice meal.

Erica said...

Sounds like you got a ton of exercise in today! I wanted to go to Body Pump this am too but opted for some sleep instead :) That is great that your dad goes hiking with you! How fun!! The dish sounds lovely as well!

Melissa and Eric said...

That is beautiful!
Sounds like you need a day of relaxation...
I went out and bought those Asic Gel-Nimbus shoes that you have this weekend. I tried on about 15 pairs and those shoes are like walking on clouds. So nice!

Astra Libris said...

Ooooh, your kasha and squash sounds incredible - so soothing and flavorful and healthful! Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog... I'm so glad I'm not the only one making multiple shopping trips! :-) (and I'll be very impressed if you managed to stay awake all the way through American Gangster - I tried to watch it the night after a tough exam, and promptly fell asleep... :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips