Saturday, September 6, 2008

Broccoli & Smoked Provolone Quiche

This summer's been a bit strange... with all that was going on (between lab work, writing my dissertation, trips to Boston to find a place to live, packing, my defense...) I didn't sign up for any sprint tri's. :( Now, i've been running, biking, and swimming, but I kinda like having some sort of focus! Home for a month, I was thinking of tri-ing (ha) to find one around here but it's just not going to work out. Next year!!

I was totally psyched to find out that a nearby gym actually offers Bodypump classes!! And I can get a one week trial and just pay for one more week when I get back from Denver. The Penn gym just started offering this class last year and I fell in love. It's weight lifting, with encouragement:) I'm guessing it'd be pretty similar to getting a personal trainer (except not one-to-one), but having never gone that route I can't say for sure. I would totally recommend looking to see if your gym has it and give it a try!

Why the long story? Well... I made this protein-packed quiche to have ready for me when I get back from an early morning Bodypump class! Adapted from this recipe, it lacks the pastry crust and has more of a clafoutis texture.

Broccoli & Smoked Provolone Quiche
adapted from Baking Bites

~2c broccoli florets, steamed
1/3 medium red onion, chopped
1 small clove garlic, minced/pressed
~1T EVOO
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 1/3c skim milk
1/2c white whole wheat flour
1/4t salt
1/2t baking powder
~1/2c shredded smoked provolone

Preheat oven to 400deg.

Heat scant 1T EVOO in skillet over med heat. Add onion, saute until soft and slightly browned. Add garlic, stir, then add broccoli. Saute for 1-2min, then remove from heat.

In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, flour, baking powder and salt.

Spray 9" pie plate with nonstick spray and spread broccoli mix in bottom. Sprinkle with cheese and top with liquid mix. Bake for 25min.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

obviously, i love all forms of egg pies, baked! this one looks particularly delicious!

sorry you missed out on all the sprint tris. i admire you for doing that... the swimming part scurres me.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Quiches are such classic dishes - looks fabulous!

Despite not being able to do any sprint tri's this year, those Bodypump classes sure do sound fun! :0)

alexandra's kitchen said...

yum. lovvvvvveeeee eggs

Melissa and Eric said...

That looks so yummy to me right now. I may have to make quiche tomorrow night because of it.

Natasha said...

This looks so delicious. Feel like making one now!
Natasha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips