Monday, September 15, 2008

Bok Choy: 3 ways

Bok choy has been on my to-try list for awhile now, and upon seeing these beautiful bunches as the farmers market I couldn't resist!! I wasn't quite sure how best to prepare it, so I turned to fellow bloggers and tried a couple ways...

From Cooking with Amy: a simple Tasty Bok Choy


And Quinoa-Stuffed Bok Choy I saw at Apples and Butter

I took some liberties in the preparation, as I was making it ahead. Steamed the bok choy on its own, and cooked up the quinoa mix ahead of time. When it came to eating, topped the bok choy with the quinoa-walut mix... and the soy reduction... shoot! forgot to make this ahead, so it did't get done. I really think this is a key component to this dish, so I'd recommed it!

From Ricki at Diet, Dessert and Dogs: Caramelized Baby Bok Choy


Verdict?? So I tried the simplest preparation first, and thought it was ok. I was on my way to saying that bok choy might just not be the veggie for me. Then I tried Ricki's Carmelized Baby Bok Choy and LOVED it. I mean, it was cooked nice and slow to bring out the sweetness, had cashews... what's not to love? :) Next up was the Quinoa-Stuffed Bok Choy, which I liked too. As I mentioned, I would definately do the soysauce reduction next time. Ooh, did you catch that, next time? Guess I'll be buying it again sometime :) After some spinach, I've been missing my cheap spinach from the produce place in philly...

How do you like your bok choy??

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ahhh, LOVE this post!!! I only recently discovered the wonders of boy choy (I'd heard of it, but never tried it), and I seriously am obsessed with it now.

Here's how I liked my first taste of bok choy (scroll down to second photograph):

http://veggiegirlvegan.blogspot.com/2008/08/veggiegirl-chicago-style-part-i.html

Meg said...

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! Bok Choy is my favorite veggie! I love it in any Thai or Asian!

Adam said...

Asian bok choy is something so simple and delicious. I ALWAYS get it when I go out to eat. I really like your caramelized onion one though, that sounds awesome :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...cashews with bok choy...yum!
I'm sorry to say I've never made it at home!

Unknown said...

I like it at a restaurant!

I've never cooked it for myself, can you believe it? I gotta get on that.

HangryPants said...

P.S. That was me.

alexandra's kitchen said...

I love bok choy. Did you ever eat at Twent Manning in Philly? They offered a side of bok choy that was to die for. I like the sound of the soy sauce reduction. Very nice exploration here!

carla said...

Sadly, right now anyway, I love mine on SOMEONE ELSES PLATE.

Working to change that,

MizFit

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you ended up liking the bok choy! I must admit that, like you, I was very reluctant at first. And now I've got other methods besides caramelizing to try--thanks! :)

Unknown said...

alexandra- ooh, no I never made it to Twenty Manning! Too many places to try and I was always partial to cooking, so it was always hard to decide :)

Esi said...

Quinoa stuffed in bok choy? Talk about superfood! Sounds so good.

prashant said...

I really like your caramelized onion one though, that sounds awesome

Work from home India

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips