Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Like to Ate Ate Ate...

Who's singing with me? hehe Fall =APPLES!!! Well, changing leaves, too, but I don't think I'd want to cook with those... I have been enjoying 2 apples a day since I first picked them up from the farm around the corner :) So I wanted to mix it up a little. Plus, this week's ingredient is Apples, so I'm submitting these to Erin and Andrea over at Care to Eat. Check out the details there... there's even a chance to get some of the prized bread Erin's been raving about!!

First, some Pumpkin Apple Butter, from Enlightened Cooking. Mine didn't look as smooth as Camilla's, but still tasted pretty darn good :) I followed the recipe, only reducing the honey just a bit, so I'll point you to back to the original post for the recipe. I'm looking forward to using this on toast, waffles, english muffins... ooh, I bet it would be tasty on pancakes too!


I decided to make 1/2 batch of two quickbreads and make them into mini-loaves so I could share! Friends of my parents are taking me kayaking, so I thought this would be a nice way to say thanks :)

Banana Apple Bread

First was a Banana Apple Bread, which I had seen over in Sunita's World. As I had only written the ingredients, I prepared it more like a quick bread (and didn't sprinkle the nuts on top), so it looks a bit different, but it still tasted delicious!!! Next time I'd use the apple in chunks instead of shredded so the apple taste doesn't get lost (the predominate flavor was banana), and maybe add more oatmeal.

Pumpkin Apple Bread

Before I had decided to do the pumpkin apple butter, I had wanted to combine apple and pumpkin somewhow, so I adapted a recipe seen over at eat me, delicious.

Mini Pumpkin Apple Loaves
adapted from eat me, delicious, who adapted it from The Garden of Vegan
Yield 3-4 mini loaves


1/2c white whole wheat flour
1/2c whole wheat pastry flour
1t baking powder
1/4t baking soda
1T cane sugar
3/8c unsweetened apple juice (plus some if batter's dry)
1/6c unsweetened applesauce
1/2c pumpkin
1/2 large apple, diced
~1/4c chopped walnuts, if desired

Preheat oven to 350deg. Spray mini loaf pan (or other desired shape) with nonstick spray.

Combine flours, baking powder and baking sugar in medium bowl.

In small bowl, combine apple juice, applesauce, and pumpkin. Mix wet into dry until just combined, adding a little more apple juice if needed. Fold in apples and nuts (if using), then add to prepared pans.

Bake for 25-30min, until it's done (I did the touch "test", and waited until my finger didn't sink in... very scientific!)


Alrighty, well if you haven't already, GO GET SOME APPLES!!! :) I can't believe my month is just about over, and I move to Boston next wednesday!! Crazy...

12 comments:

Meg said...

It all looks so delicious! I will have to try making some pumpkin apple butter!

Melissa and Eric said...

Wow, you have been baking up a storm! Everything looks unbelieveable. I may have to steal the pumpkin apple bread recipe to make this weekend- two of my favorite ingredients combined together= perfection!

Anonymous said...

Those look wonderful! I've been wanting to try apple butter.

Esi said...

Haha! You have that song in my head now. I don't think I have tried pumpkins WITH apples, sounds awesome though.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

HAHA!!! I used to love to sing that song all the time :0D

Pumpkin Apple Butter, Banana Apple Bread, AND Pumpkin Apple Bread?!?!?!?! You definitely win for using the Blogger Secret Ingredient Challenge the most times, in the most delicious ways!! :0)

Anonymous said...

I'm so totes in awe of you Shannon! How do you do it?! The creativity. the food knowledge. The mad baking skills.
ALL WHILE REFINING THE BIG D! (That's what people call it in my program...)
Consider yourself entered, friend!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe... it looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

NEVER had pumpkin apple butter---but I adore the apple butter.

and now Im craving apples.

and must evaluate if it's worth getting dressed (in pjs) and in the car and heading to store.

deeply regretting not living in an orchard right about now :)

Anonymous said...

I've definitely been craving apples more! And my summer fruits are coming less and less available... so I'm starting to have to turn to the apples, squashes, etc.

WOW Both of those breads look absolutely incredible. AMAZING. Want to mail me 10 loaves? Tha'd be amazing. HA!

By the way...the spinach and squash combo from the other day sounds AWESOME too. I'll definitely be keeping that one bookmarked in the brain!

Happy Friday lady!

Erica said...

I've been eating about 2 apples a day too! I love the bread idea, I might try that on Sunday (the banana apple!) Thanks

alexandra's kitchen said...

i am constantly amazed by all of the yummy vegan treats out there. i need to experiment more with vegan baking/cooking.

And I love apple butter! I have never tried to make it.

Anonymous said...

What a delicious post! You have my mouth watering. I love Fall and all the produce it brings. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips